Baby massage can be an easy way to help your child. Here are some ways it helps, and some ideas for getting started. It can be help:
- If the child has hyper-tonic, high tone, muscles, massage can help in relaxing them.
- Baby massage can also help hypo-tonic, or low tone, muscles to stimulate the muscles and help them develop
- It helps both children with hyper and hypo sensitivity to regulate their bodies to touch. Helping a child learn to familiarize touch can help with life long necessary skills. Getting a child’s body in-line can also help to regulate other senses.
- Massage can also help fussy babies relieve tension and stress. Children who are extra susceptible to this need are drug withdrawal babies, sensitive babies, and babies that have unusual pain.
- Massage can help all babies sleep longer and deeper if done as part of a nightly routine.
- Baby massage can help increase social skills and increase bonding
- Help with digestion- keeping babies more regular and ease gas issues
- Help babies increase alert state for more personal interactions
- Help with feeding issues by assisting oral-motor development
- It may even help some children with weight gain- Perhaps through alertness, feeding issues, and digestive help
- Baby massage can help improve body awareness, which will help gross motor, fine motor, and self-help skills
Easy ways to start:
- Keep it simple
- Make it a routine
- Place baby or toddler on towel
- Use lotion
- Talk with baby
Here’s a simple video to help get you started. There are other ideas that started at legs is easier as they are less sensitive. If you need more guidance many massage therapist and even some chiropractors are happy to help get you started.