The following is an example of a curriculum guide for mathematics. Step number one is something even the littlest one can work on and then can advance as their skills acquire.
Goal of Curriculum Guide for Mathematics
- Students will be able identify money values and address simple values
- Step One: Student will be able to identify and label money.
- Step Two: Student will be able to add their money in order to know amount possess.
- Step Three: Student will be able to add together items to prepare for check out.
- Step Four: Student will pay for shopping.
- Step One: Students will work with the money through flashcards and actual play to work toward identifying money
- Step Two: Student will add money, including coins and dollars on work sheets, computer, and with actual money.
- Step Three: Students will participate in mock purchasing to better understand value of money.
- Step Four: Students will work on adding costs together with calculator or other tools available.
- Step Five: Students will be able to pick out items they can afford and then pay for them independently at mock shopping center.
- Step One: Student will identify the names and then the value of money pieces.
- Step Two: Student will be able to add together money.
- Step Three: Student will pick out items costing less than what he/she possess.
- Step Four: Student will pick out two plus items at a time costing less than what he/she possess.
- Step Five: Students will be able to pick out items they can afford and then pay for them independently.
- Take a trip to a bank or store.
- Have a mock money system of earning and spending.
- Coloring pages
- Computer games
- Other projects and games focused on money.
- Start with simple ideas, and then add on when student is ready. For example, students will probably learn the names of specific money and then add value to the coins and dollars .
- Students can work on matching/grouping money in order to work on identifying pieces .
- Students may find it easiest to begin with coins and then introduce the paper values of the dollar.
Related Article to ‘Curriculum Guide for Mathematics: Helping Understand Money’
Curriculum Guides for Academic Interventions in English
Lesson Plan Examples: Teaching Money to Students with Mental Retardation